Pages

Saturday, November 23, 2013

Doing not Trying....

Some one has come into my life in the past year from whom I am learning a lot of things.  We disagree at times but I am learning and continuing to speak my mind with them.

One of their pet peeves is to say "I'm trying" - the usually response is "Well, if you're trying your not doing."

As someone who has always been a person who would try anything - from difficult assignments, to new adventures, to different foods - I have realized how much I would say "I'm trying to" has become of my vocabulary.  And with that how much room it leaves me to be non-committal about something or give up before I start.

What do you mean, you ask?  (Cause I'll be honest when I was first told that trying was not doing - I was a little offended.  What do you mean I'm not trying?!  I'm trying my hardest....)  But think about it - how many times have you said "I'm trying to lose weight" or "I'm trying to budget better" or whatever?  Instead of committing to something and going full-on to meet that goal?

"I'm trying to" implies that there is wiggle room to come out of whatever activity if anything doesn't work out.  Previously I've been "trying" to lose weight for years with mediocre to no success, but in the past 3 months I decided "I am losing weight" and in making that commitment have lost about 15 pounds. 

So Bodie, my husband, and I are starting down a new venture in life - and we aren't trying - we are committed to doing it.  We are improving the health of our family, reducing our debt, helping others, making the world a better place - building our own living well for our lives.

I'm not giving myself that wiggle room any more - I'm doing not trying....how about you?

1 comment:

  1. Hey Amber - really enjoyed reading your blog!!! Aunt kathy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your feedback! Please remember that this is intended to be a positive, uplifting space and comments will be removed that are not initiated with such a spirit.